Job Title: HSE and Facilities Manager
Reporting to: Site Director
Date of issue: October 2021
The function of the HSE & Facilities Manager is to ensure that all Company HSE policies & procedures are communicated understood and adhered to, across all Company locations, to work towards a goal of zero harm to people, the environment and equipment.
Purpose of role and accountabilities:
- Responsible for Health, Safety and environmental management at the Basildon site, and promote a positive Health & Safety culture by developing and implementing effective management systems and ensuring legal compliance.
- Responsible for implementing all policies, practices and operations for the Safety, Health and environmental functions within Company operations.
- Promoting and developing a strong Safety culture oriented towards continuous improvement and in reinforcing HSE leadership from key Company staff.
- Ensure Health, Safety and environmental working conditions are followed at all times.
- Implementation of policies, procedures and systems to provide for a safe and secure business operation.
- Enforce safe working practices and ensure lost time incidents are kept to a minimum.
- Drive and maintain the Company’s HSE reputation.
- Coordinate with local HSE resources to ensure effectiveness.
- Apply the overall Company’s standards and guidelines on HSE.
- Perform regular audits and monitor HSE performance to identify areas for improvement, and ensure that appropriate corrective or preventative actions are taken, including follow up reviews.
- Coordinate preparation of statistics pertaining to Basildon HSE activity for use by Company personnel and outside agencies.
- Lead any necessary accident/incident investigation and reporting.
- Ensure that all Safety and environmental issues are managed fulfilling the requirements of all the regulations applicable by international standards and National laws as appropriate.
- Ensure that emergencies are handled fulfilling the requirements of the regulations applicable nationally. In liaison with Company personnel, ensure that Emergency Response Plans are in place, and regularly checked and tested to confirm validity and that local Emergency Response Teams are operational at all times.
- Facilitate the maintenance and management of occupational Health, Safety and well-being through systems, audit/inspection and the establishment of high standards and expectations on employees of Safety aware behaviours/performance.
- Advise on matters relating to Health and Safety at work, including the obligations and responsibilities of managers and employees; and provide comprehensive and practical advice to technical and line managers on best practice.
- Provide appropriate risk assessment methodology to comply with legislation and ensure all potential risks are identified and control measures implemented and monitored.
- Control PPE requirements for the site and keep records of checks.
- Lead and advise personnel on carrying out COSHH assessments and risk assessments and ensure risks are being reduced or removed alongside department managers;
- Outlining safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards;
- Planning practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting Health and Safety and safe working practices;
- Chairing Health & Safety committee meetings;
- Making changes to working practices that are safe and comply with legislation;
- Keeping records of inspections findings and producing reports suggesting improvements;
- Keeping records of incidents and accidents and producing statistics for management and statutory bodies; carrying out accident investigations where appropriate and producing subsequent reports and recommendations;
- Keeping up to date with new legislation;
- Liaising with officials from the regulatory authorities to ensure the organisation is compliant with mandatory regulations;
- Producing management reports, newsletters and bulletins;
- Carrying out fire drills; and ensure that suitable and sufficient fire wardens/marshals are appointed and suitably trained, providing for refresher training as necessary
- In liaison with appropriate personnel on site, ensuring the safe installation of equipment;
- Advising on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
- Assist insurers in completing employers’ liability claim assessments.
- Conduct Health and Safety inductions for new employees and regular refresher sessions for existing employees.
Core skills/attributes needed:
- Up to date knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Experience in a manufacturing/engineering environment where treatments processes
Are used extensively.
- Ability to effectively manage meetings, investigations and group discussions.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of discretion and ciHHIGH onfidentiality.
- Ability to design and deliver training modules.
- Patience and diplomacy and a collaborative approach
- Negotiating skills
- Must possess or be working towards NEBOSH General Certificate as a minimum standard.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001, ISO 45001 & ISO5001 environmental/Health & Safety management systems is desirable.
- Good understanding of REACH controls and administration process.
The employee must also strive to support the elements of the SQCDP framework of the wider Gardner business;
- Safety: work in line with all accredited company safety standards in order to provide a safe working environment for all
- Quality: support the quality accreditations across the business to ensure the delivery of a ‘right first time’ performance
- Cost: support the continuous improvements in cost reduction activities across the company in order to deliver increased profitability and value for money to our customers and stakeholders
- Delivery: drive improvement in delivery performance to continually exceed customer expectations and targets
- People: support organisational capability and influence cultural change by embracing diversity, inclusion, wellbeing and community
Measurable performance indicators/objectives of role:
- Evidence of effective control measures which eliminate or reduce risk.
- Continuous improvement in Health, Safety and environmental standards.
- Deployment of effective Health, Safety and environmental management systems.
- Provision of appropriate information, instruction and training for all employees.
- Maintenance of harmonious workplace relationships.
- Compliance with Health, Safety and employment legislation to ensure company is not exposed to litigation.
An annual appraisal will be held to ensure the employee and their Line Manager is happy with their performance, progress and development. Further reviews may also be held to discuss any ongoing training needs of the employee.
Note: This job description serves as a guide only to the main duties and responsibilities of your job role and it may vary from time to time. As our business grows and develops (or contracts), you may be expected to carry other reasonable duties which are within your capabilities.
In the event that the job holder cannot meet all the requirements of the job description, then additional training will be given to bring the individual up to the required standard.